7.1.08

Music store: David Bowie

Natural from Brixton, England, David Bowie is a rare animal in the music industry. Again, this is a musician that produced most of his best work in the seventies. I am a big fan of the 70's... and of the 90's, not so much of the 80's (except for some people that made it a less boring time to live in, such as New Order, The Smiths or The Cure, to name a few). And David Bowie has that sort of magic, gloaming quality that somebody that grew up musically in the 90's such as myself attaches to the 70's, that romanticism long gone, that extreme concept of freedom.

Because that's the taste of his music, it has that kind of timeless odd beauty. And it does feel like flying to a different planet, where many little David Bowies wonder around, whistling hyper-dimensional melodies. Funny creature the man.

I was thinking for a while about which songs to post here. The amount of great numbers is vast: Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Life on Mars, Under Pressure (yes, it's not a Queen's song), I'm Afraid Of Americans, Little Wonder... I finally decided to go for two surreal gems, delicious pieces of music, from 1971 and 1980 respectively. Enjoy Changes (with the great line ...time may change me, but I can't trace time...) and Ashes to Ashes (absolute madness!):



No comments: